Keep London Pride Going: Join us on 10 July to hear about our same-sex partnerships litigation in Serbia
Please join us at an Ashurst LLP hosted lunchtime talk on Wednesday 10 July 2019 in London on strategic litigation and crowdfunding for equality and civil rights legal claims on the issue of same-sex partnerships. The Equal Rights Trust has been working with Thomas Karalis from the London Dispute Resolution department at Ashurst LLP, Labris (Serbia's oldest and most prominent LGBT advocacy group) and Serbian lawyer Marjana Majstorovic on a case which seeks to help three same-sex couples achieve recognition of their same-sex partnerships in Serbia. The Trust is very thankful to Ashurst for organising and hosting this event and for their support with the case.
Legal claims for equality are long, expensive and emotionally charged. The EU financially supported the early stages of case development, but funding is now needed to take the cases to court. The couples have decided to use CrowdJustice to fund what is likely to be a long and arduous legal battle ahead. London will be celebrating Pride on Saturday 6 July - with the party vibes having quietened down, on 10 July it will be time to reflect on the continued challenges ahead.
- Claire Fourel (Senior Associate, Pro Bono EMEA) - introductions and Ashurst's pro bono practice in the fields of equality and civil rights through capacity building strategic litigation
- Joanna Whiteman (Co-director, Equal Rights Trust) - strategic litigation for the rights to equality and non-discrimination
- Marjana Majstorovic (Justicia Law Office) – case discussion of three couples before the Serbian courts for the recognition of same sex partnerships
- Thomas Karalis (Senior Associate, Dispute Resolution) – case discussion and Ashurst pro bono involvement
- Jo Sidhu (UK Head of CrowdJustice) – How CrowdJustice, the funding platform for legal action, can support legal challenges concerning equality and civil rights
Wednesday 10 July 2019
From 12:30 pm for a 1.00 pm start, a sandwich lunch will be provided
Add to calendar
London Fruit & Wool Exchange 1 Duval Square, London E1 6PW
For enquiries please contact
+44 20 7859 1017