The Equal Rights Trust is an independent international organisation whose purpose is to combat discrimination and promote equality as a fundamental human right and a basic principle of social justice. We are seeking an Arabic speaking Legal Fellow, with an interest in equality issues and knowledge of international human rights law, to gain experience of research, advocacy and litigation in the area of equality and non-discrimination.
The Fellowship is offered for a 3-6 month period (which may be extended). Fellows will receive a stipend of £2000 (3 months) or £4,000 (6 months). We are looking for a Fellow who is available to start as soon as possible.
The Fellow will be involved in certain key aspects of the Trust’s work related to the MENA region, such as:
- Research and drafting on discrimination issues in order to contribute to the Trust’s publications. This will include desk research as well as analysis of field research, legal analysis, report drafting, and fact-checking.
- Translation of key documents.
- Monitoring media and other online sources for legislative and policy developments.
- Providing additional support to the Trust as required.
The position is intended to provide Fellows with an opportunity to gain an understanding of legal research techniques, and experience of working in an international non-governmental organisation.
Skills and Experience Required
- Strong knowledge of international human rights law evidenced through an undergraduate or graduate degree in a relevant discipline and/or relevant experience.
- Fluent written and spoken English and Arabic.
- Strong research skills.
- Ability to produce written material in a clear, coherent and persuasive manner.
- Knowledge of equality and non-discrimination law and best practice is a strong advantage.
The position will be based in the Trust’s London office although we are happy to consider requests for flexibility. All applicants must have the right to undertake a Fellowship in the UK.
How to Apply
Please apply by sending a curriculum vitae and a covering letter, setting out: (i) confirmation of the basis upon which you have the right to undertake the Fellowship in the UK, (ii) confirmation of when you would be available to start the Fellowship; and (iii) contact details for two referees to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications should be sent by email only, with subject “MENA Region Legal Research Fellowship”.
The deadline for applications is Wednesday 20 September 2017. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis so early applications are strongly encouraged.