The Equal Rights Trust is seeking to appoint two consultants, with an interest in equality issues and knowledge of international human rights law, to undertake desk-based research on patterns of discrimination and inequality in Egypt.
In 2018, the Equal Rights Trust will publish a report on discrimination and inequality in Egypt, which will form part of the Equal Rights Trust’s Country Report series (available online). The report will be divided into four chapters:
- Legal and Policy Framework related to Equality and Discrimination
- Patterns of discrimination – This part will contain sections discussing the principal patterns of discrimination in Egypt, structured by reference to the following grounds of discrimination: Gender; Religious belief; Ethnicity/race; Political opinion; Disability and health status (in particular, those with HIV and AIDS); Sexual orientation and gender identity; and; Social or economic status.
- Conclusions and Recommendations
Two consultants will be appointed to work on Chapter 3: Patterns of Discrimination. The seven grounds of discrimination outlined above will be divided between the two consultants (depending on the consultants’ particular knowledge and interests), and each consultant will then be required to:
- undertake a comprehensive review of publicly available information on patterns of discrimination in Egypt on the grounds of discrimination he/she has been allocated; and
- draft the relevant sections of Chapter 3 on patterns of discrimination.
The consultant will be provided with a set of detailed guidelines on how to prepare the chapter.
The consultants will be selected on the basis of the following criteria:
- Professional fluency in English (essential);
- An undergraduate or post-graduate degree in law (essential);
- Excellent knowledge of international human rights law, with particular expertise on the rights to equality and non-discrimination (essential);
- Excellent writing skills (essential);
- Experience in conducting desk-based research (desired); and
- Ability to read Arabic (desired).
- By 1 October 2017: Selection of consultant and commencement of work
- By 30 November 2017: Submission of first draft
- By 15 February 2018: Submission of final draft
Each consultant will be paid a total of €2,000 for the work, to be paid in two equal instalments: the first instalment will be paid following submission of the first draft, and the second instalment will be paid following submission of the final draft.
How to Apply
Please apply by submitting a copy of your CV, a writing sample (max. 2,000 words) and a cover letter to email@example.com. The cover letter should specify whether the applicant has an interest in conducting research on any particular grounds of discrimination, as detailed above. Please insert “Consultancy: Desk-based Research” in the subject of your email.
Deadline for applications: 20 September 2017.