The Equal Rights Trust, the Association of Citizens Praxis (Praxis), and Sandžak Committee for the Protection of Human Rights and Freedoms (Sandzak Committee) call for applications from lawyers in Serbia who wish to participate in strategic litigation on the rights to equality and non-discrimination.
Applications are being accepted as part of the three organisations’ work to increase protection from all forms of discrimination and promote equality in Serbia. To achieve these objectives, we are supporting Serbian lawyers to undertake litigation which aims to improve the interpretation of anti-discrimination law and to increase access to justice for victims of discrimination.
If you are a practising lawyer in Serbia with experience of bringing cases on discrimination and equality or on other human rights, we would welcome your application. We will provide you with financial support and help you to develop your skills and case strategy. If your application is successful, you will be required to attend a workshop in October 2017, together with a number of follow up meetings in 2018, and to file at least one strategic litigation case.
Activities you will be responsible for include:
- Case preparation, including: collecting evidence and conducting interviews, reviewing relevant jurisprudence and drafting briefs.
- Court appearances.
- Interaction with clients.
To be eligible for this call you should meet the following criteria:
- A licence to practice law in Serbia.
- At least three years’ professional experience in conducting litigation at the domestic level in Serbia.
- Excellent knowledge on the rights to equality and non-discrimination under Serbian law
- (essential) and international law (desirable).
- Experience of working with groups exposed to discrimination in Serbia.
- Strong organisational and practical management skills.
- Professional experience of conducting litigation on the rights to equality and non-discrimination at the domestic level.
- Fluency in English.
- Each lawyer will receive €800 to cover litigation costs at the domestic level.
How to Apply
The deadline for applications is 15 September 2017 at 5pm (Serbian time). Please note that applications will be reviewed and considered on a rolling basis. It is to your advantage to apply as early as possible.
For full details on how to apply please click here.
For any queries, including those related to your fluency in English, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.